Dry mouth which is also known as xerostomia in medical terms, is a common issue that encountered by many people. Dryness can be caused by the altering in the composition of saliva or lowered salivary flow. The salivary gland may not work properly and it is frequently connected to dehydration, anxiety, aging, smoking or alcohol consumption. Moreover, those who are pregnant or breastfeeding may experience some symptoms of dry mouth as well because of hormonal changes and dehydration.
Sometimes, dry mouth can be a side effect of some typical medications that adopted to treat nerve pain, anxiety and depression or some antihistamines, muscles relaxant, pain – killers as well as decongestants. Other probable causes might be radiation therapy, nerve damage, chemotherapy, diabetes as well as autoimmune diseases.
One when diagnosed with dry mouth may experience a parched sensation in the mouth, a rough tongue, mouth sores, thick or stringy saliva, excessive thirst, bad breath, taste loss, difficulty in chewing, swallowing or speaking as well as cracked lips.
Dry mouth may cause extreme irritation especially the pain owing to the sticky feeling in the mouth. And fortunately, this condition can be easily cured by some of home remedies that are simple and easy to follow. Ensure that you will follow these remedies until the symptoms have disappeared.
- INCREASE FLUID INTAKE
Seems pretty obvious, right? Dehydration is the most popular symptoms that you might encounter with. Therefore, the best way to hinder it is to increase the fluid intake so that your body will always be full hydrated. Appropriate hydration will enable the body to produce saliva properly and help to inhibit the symptoms of dry mouth.
- Drink an ample amount of water
- Consume some water – based fruits as well as vegetable such as watermelon, cucumber and pineapple.
- Consume smoothies, vegetable juice and fruit juice
- Consume 1 – 2 cups of coconut water on a daily basis
- Consume herbal teas such as chamomile tea, green tea and others
- Consume soft and liquid foods such as soup or broth.
- Try to stay away from caffeinated beverages, alcoholic beverages and sodas since it can add up to dehydration.
- ALOE VERA
This is an age – old but very effective remedy to get rid of dry mouth. Moreover, aloe vera can protects the sensitive tissue in the mouth.
- Consume ¼ glass of aloe vera juice on a daily basis
- Rinse your mouth with aloe vera juice several times a day.
- Alternatively, apple some aloe vera gel in your mouth using a cotton ball.
- Let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing off with water thoroughly again.
- Repeat the process for 2 – 3 times a day.
- SLIPPERY ELM
This consists of mucilage which enables slippery elm to be a slick gel when it is mixed with water. This substance will help you in coating and soothing the mouth and the throat as well. Moreover, it also reduces discomfort that is associated with dry mouth.
- Mix some slippery elm into a glass of hot water
- Cover and let it steep for several minutes
- Strain it and add some honey before consuming this twice daily.
- Alternatively, mix some slippery elm bark powder with water
- Apply on the tongue and let it sit for several minutes before rinsing with water
- Repeat the process for several times a day
- FENNEL SEEDS
The flavonoids in fennel seeds can significantly regulate the flow of saliva therefore it is one of the most effective method to get rid of dry mouth. Additionally, their aromatic flavor can help you get rid of bad breath that associated with dry mouth.
- Munch on fennel seeds for a few times on a daily basis
- Mix some fennel seeds with fenugreek seeds
- Dry roast them and grind them thoroughly
- Add some salt and consume after every meal.
- CAYENNE PEPPER
It can regulation the saliva production which enables it to be one of the most common remedies to treat dry mouth. Moreover, it also helps to bolster the taste buds in order that you can recognize flavors better.
- Press some ground pepper on a wet finger
- Rub it on your tongue
- Though it might cause burning feeling for a while, it can regulate your salivary gland effectively.
- Sprinkle some cayenne pepper into your meal such as salads, soups and others
- Alternatively, after consulting doctor, cayenne pepper capsules are good.
- OIL PULLING
Oil pulling, which is an ancient Ayurvedic practices, helps to keep your mouth hydrated therefore it is very effective in getting rid of dry mouth. Moreover, it is highly beneficial in keeping oral health as well as inhibiting bad breath. It can be done with sesame oil, coconut oil and many other essential oils.
- Place some extra – virgin coconut oil in the mouth
- Swish the oil in your mouth for 15 minutes
- Spit out and rinse mouth with water again.
- Repeat the process for several times a day before eating
- Note: Do not consume the oil orally